The NCNGA Legislative Initiatives and Resolutions Committee is diligently working to improve member benefits for our Soldiers and Airmen both active and retired. We have been successful over the last couple of years with increases to the State Tuition Assistance Program and NCNG Pension annuity monthly payments as well as voting representation on the North Carolina Military Affairs Council in 2015. In 2016, we received an additional $1.45 million increase for the NCNG Pension Fund. 2017 will be a long session for the NC General Assembly and the committee members have nominated and prioritized the following initiatives:
- NCNG Tuition Assistance Program Funding IncreaseThe North Carolina tuition assistance program (NCTAP) is one of our most effective recruiting and retention tools for Soldiers and Airmen allowing them the opportunity for self-improvement. We are currently unable to meet current NCTAP requests from qualified Soldiers and Airmen and are requesting a $500,000 recurring annual increase to cover the projected shortfall.
- NCNG Pension: Annuity Monthly Payments Increase
- 20 years of service $115.50 monthly annuity ($10.50 increase)
- 30 years of service $231.00 monthly annuity ($21.00 increase)
- Military State Income Tax Relief (SB 153): In calculating North Carolina taxable income, a taxpayer may deduct from the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income the amount received during the taxable year from the United State government as retirement pay for a retired member of the Armed Forces of the United State or as a survivorship benefits for survivors of active duty or retired members of the Armed Forces of the United States.