The NCNGA Legislative Initiatives and Resolutions Committee is diligently working to improve member benefits for our Soldiers and Airmen both active and retired. We have been successful over the last couple of years with increases to the State Tuition Assistance Program and NCNG Pension annuity monthly payments as well as voting representation on the North Carolina Military Affairs Council in 2015. In 2016, we received an additional $1.45 million increase for the NCNG Pension Fund. 2017 will be a long session for the NC General Assembly and the committee members have nominated and prioritized the following initiatives:
- NCNG Tuition Assistance Program Funding IncreaseThe North Carolina tuition assistance program (NCTAP) is one of our most effective recruiting and retention tools for Soldiers and Airmen allowing them the opportunity for self-improvement. We are currently unable to meet current NCTAP requests from qualified Soldiers and Airmen and are requesting a $500,000 recurring annual increase to cover the projected shortfall.
- Capability for Self-contribution by Current and Retired NCNG Soldiers and Airmen to NC State Employee 401K PlanThis allows NCNG Soldiers and Airmen to contribute to a plan which typically provides tax benefits and lower administrative fees and capability to roll-over existing 401k plans.
- NCNG Pension: Annuity Monthly Payments Increase
- 20 years of service $115.50 monthly annuity ($10.50 increase)
- 30 years of service $231.00 monthly annuity ($21.00 increase)