- Durham VA media release -Stand Down 10 20 11 — see attach flyer. The Bull City Stand Down to prevent homelessness and support veterans who are homeless is being held on November 1 from 8 am until 3 pm. To participate, donate toward, or just attend, see the flyer for further information.
- Veteran’s Day Appreciation Dinner for Military Active Duty, Reserves, National Guard and Veterans of our Armed Services and their guest. November 11, 2011 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale, NC. This is a free event honoring all patriots that have faithfully served to protect the very freedoms we have today. Guest Speaker from one of the military branches will be one of the many highlights of the evening! Please RSVP by October 30, 2011. You may register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call the church at 919-266-1613.
- NC Employment Security Commission “Hire a Vet” Hiring Event. Wednesday, November 9, 10 am – 3 pm. At WakeTech, 9101 Fayetteville Rd., Raleigh, NC. Conference Center, 2nd floor. For more information contact Houston Campbell at 919-212-3849 x238.
- Veterans Day is a great opportunity to teach students about the men and women who have served in our nation’s armed forces. To help educators make the most of this opportunity, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Veterans Day National Committee provide a teacher’s resource guide with suggested activities for students of all ages. The guide may be viewed and downloaded from the Veterans Day Web site at http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/ ; In addition to the teacher’s guide, a Veterans Day poster is availableTo download a print-quality version of the 2011 Veterans Day poster, visit: http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/gallery.asp.
- Eat, drink and contribute to the MVRC Emergency Fund. Monday November 14, Tribeca Tavern, 6004 Falls of Neuse Road. Tribeca Tavern is giving MVRC and its parent organization, COPE Foundation, 10% of its November 14 proceeds. This is the first big fundraiser we are doing to build our emergency fund for local military and veterans. If you read the updates above, you realize the needs are real. Help us begin to make a genuine difference for our veterans in need. Any purchases made that day will go toward this effort. Join us that evening and we can spend time together in Tribeca’s “Man Cave” (caveman attire not required).
Yes, I know Golden Corral has a free dinner that day for veterans. And GC will be accepting donations for a worthy military support organization of their choice. Let me challenge you,if you choose to eat at Golden Corral that evening instead of Tribeca Tavern. Take the money it would have cost you for dinner there and make a donation to GC’s sponsored organization, and then donate an equal amount to MVRC or one of the other very worthy local organizations that support military and veterans in our area. Your local support dollars will be well spent.
OR, eat lunch at Tribeca and have dinner at GC!